Sunday, February 23, 2014

psoriasis on the scalp

Dandruff  is the result of scalp psoriasis. There was a commercial where the dandruff appeared as a snow storm. I thought that it was an extreme over exaggeration, I guess it really is, but you really do feel that way when you have extreme dandruff.  At lunch time I would take my lab jacket off and dust off the dandruff.  I tried everything from moisturizing shampoos to dandruff shampoos to the combination of the two. One even labeled as "for Psoriasis."  The psoriasis just became worse. I had seen several "No-Poo" blogs. Some citing the extreme evils of chemicals and others just the extreme cost savings.

I read the comments and one person actually asked the question if it helped scalp psoriasis.  One response to that question was that their's got worse. So I put off trying it and bought yet another dandruff shampoo to try. It appeared to me that with each shampoo my scalp would get worse. I then began to wonder again about the baking soda "shampoo" and apple cider vinegar "rinse."  I wondered if my scalp problems were the result of exposure to the chemicals in commercial shampoos.

After shaking my jacket off at lunch time became a DAILY routine. I decided it would be much cheaper to try the "no-poo" recipes than to go to the doctor for a prescription shampoo. Then if the "no-poo" does not correct the problem, I would go to the doctor at that point.  I chose the "1 tablespoon to a cup of warm water" recipe for each the shampoo and rinse.  (I use empty commercial shampoo bottles to hold the mixes and the bottles I have hold 3 cups)

I have now been using the baking soda "shampoo" and apple cider vinegar "rinse" for about 4 weeks now.  I am no longer shaking my jacket off at work. I don't think my scalp has fully recovered yet but I am no longer scraping a dry crust off of my scalp and it no longer itches. So I feel it is well on its way to recovery.

So for me...the "no-poo" recipes DID seem to help my scalp psoriasis.  I do not know if it will help everyone like it did me. But it appears my psoriasis was the result of exposure to a chemical or chemicals in the commercial shampoos.

No comments:

Post a Comment