Saturday, April 20, 2013

Where is the bounce in bouncy ball?

Ran across a recipe for a home made "bouncy ball."  Because I had all the ingredients on hand I thought it might be a fun project to do with the grandchildren when they visited.  I read in one post a while back that they did not bounce like a "super ball" does, so my expectations were not that high.

I am of an age that I remember the rubber balls that came with jacks sets prior to the "super" ball.  With the rubber ball if you threw the ball straight down with some force behind it, it would bounce back up waist high which would allow you to catch it without bending over.  Then the "super" ball came on the market and if you thew the ball straight down with some force behind it, it would bounce back up and hit the ceiling and proceed to ricochet around the room while you chased after it.

With the bouncy ball recipe I was expecting the rubber ball results.  The first attempt I used latex gloves to protect my hands from the "sticky" stage. BAD idea, it was sticking all over the gloves.  Second attempt I used my bare hands and it did not take long for the "sticky" stage to disappear.  The recipe stated that when the ball was no longer sticky that you could bounce it. I tried, it hit the floor and bounced up approximately 6 inches and landed with a short roll.  I thought that maybe the product had to set for a few minutes to obtain its bounce.  When I returned there was a flat side to the ball. I quickly rolled it to remove the flat side and attempted to bounce it again. Same result...a return of about 6 inches and landed with a short roll.  Well maybe it needs to set a lot longer. So I place the ball in a plastic grocery bag and hung it on a door knob (to prevent a flat side). The next morning I took the ball out and bounced it on the floor with a return of about 6 inches and landed with a short roll.  With the fact that I am not a chemist and cannot determine if there is a problem with the recipe, the bouncy ball was placed in the garbage and a different project will be chosen to complete with the grandchildren.

No comments:

Post a Comment